As states and provinces across North America continue the phase-down of HFC blowing agents in response to current environmental codes and regulations, DuPont is phasing in a new, reduced global warming potential (GWP) formulation of Styrofoam™ Brand Extruded Polystyrene (XPS) Foam Insulation. Styrofoam™ Brand XPS products manufactured with the new formulation will be produced in a new, design friendly grey. The changeover is taking place first in Canada and select states, with plans to expand the product offering going forward.
While DuPont™ Styrofoam™ Brand XPS products are being reformulated with next-generation technology for an improved sustainability profile, the performance characteristics and consistent quality of the original extruded polystyrene foam insulation will not change. Because of our industry leadership, we worked with regulatory bodies to best define the path to balancing performance and reliability with greater sustainability. We tested and refined our formulation to be sure that Styrofoam™ Brand XPS will continue to meet or exceed codes and regulations and deliver the performance you've come to expect – in a color that meets modern design aesthetics.
DuPont™ Styrofoam™ Brand XPS Boardstock Blue to Grey Timetable
As of January 1, 2021, blue Styrofoam™ Brand XPS is transitioning to grey in Canada. Throughout the transition period, both grey and blue colors will be available and compliant with current regulations.
Get the latest HFC Update
Advocacy & Product Stewardship Manager
DuPont Performance Building Solutions
Map data current as of March 5, 2021
Reduced GWP Styrofoam™ Brand XPS
Traditional Styrofoam™ Brand XPS
- Labeling: Québec does not require labeling for foam products.
- Sell Through Period: Québec allows product manufactured or blended before the date of restriction to remain in commerce until July 1, 2021.
- Recordkeeping: Québec does not require recordkeeping for foam products.
- More Information: The original regulations are available here. The amending regulations are available here.
Regulations for all other Canadian Provinces
- Labeling: Canada does not require labeling.
- Sell Through Period: Canada allows product manufactured or blended before the date of restriction to remain in commerce.
- Recordkeeping: Canada does not require recordkeeping.
- More Information: The regulations are available in English here. The regulations are available in French here.
A unique closed-cell structure gives Styrofoam™ Brand XPS its exceptional moisture resistance and enables it to retain a high, long-term R-value of R-5 per inch1 – even after exposure to standing water, wet soil and other damp conditions. Additional performance attributes of Styrofoam™ Brand XPS include:
- Meets ASTM C578 Types IV, V, VI, VII and X (refer to specific product information)
- Compliant with North American and international building codes and standards
- Provides a weather-resistant barrier to enhance the building's resistance to air and moisture penetration
- Approved for fire-rated exterior wall assemblies (meets building code requirements of ASTM E84 Flame Spread Index of 25 or less and a Smoke Developed Rating of 50 or less)
- Will not corrode, rot or support mold growth
- Has a minimum compressive strength of 15 psi and minimum flexural strength of 40 psi
- Can be used in a number of commercial and residential applications like sheathing, foundation walls, masonry and steel stud cavity walls, attics, crawl spaces, green and blue roofs, and more
- Is easy to fabricate into various sizes, thicknesses and edge treatments to meet specific design needs, while ensuring energy efficiency and minimizing on-site cutting and waste
DuPont™ Styrofoam™ Brand XPS products are backed by the expertise of building science leaders dedicated to your success and warranties from a name you trust, including limited thermal warranties from 15 to 50 years including the Wall² system warranties and other system warranties.
DuPont™ Styrofoam™ Brand XPS Insulation has played a key role in the building and construction industry for nearly 80 years, enhancing energy efficiency and the sustainability profile of the entire building envelope. Thanks to the energy it saves over its lifetime, Styrofoam™ Brand XPS has been shown to help save more than 30 times the energy embodied in it3. Furthermore, based on published life cycle information, current Styrofoam™ Brand XPS will prevent at least 28 times more greenhouse gas emissions relative to its own carbon footprint over a 50-year period.4 Already manufactured with 100% renewable energy and with a zero-ozone depletion formula, the sustainability benefits of Styrofoam™ Brand XPS also include:
- Reusable in many applications
- Certified by UL Environment Inc. to contain an average of 20% pre-consumer recycled content
- Produced with BluEdge™ Polymeric Flame Retardant Technology, a stable polymer with an enhanced environment, health and safety profile
- Can help builders achieve green building certifications, including U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) certification
Coming soon – look for a new Environmental Product Declaration (EPD) that features a reduced Embodied Carbon (EC) as a result of the new, reduced GWP grey Styrofoam XPS Boardstock on our LEED & Green Building Resources page.
Grey, reduced GWP Styrofoam™ Brand XPS Insulation addresses the modern need for a dark reveal behind open-joint rainscreen systems or other applications where exposed insulation is desired. But that's not all. As a highly efficient continuous insulation, the rigid foam boards of Styrofoam™ Brand XPS help prevent thermal bridging and the unsightly dark stains – or is visible through the cladding over wood and steel stud walls.
DuPont Performance Building Solutions is committed to being in step with where the construction industry is going. Our robust portfolio of proven and compatible products brings together decades of technology, expertise and innovation to provide water, air and thermal protection for all six sides of your building envelope.